Academic and Administrative Staff Development
UPD encourages faculty to engage in value-adding activities that enable them to develop the essential skills needed in their fields of specialization, and to update and broaden their knowledge of their disciplines.
Short-term development activities include participation in conferences, seminars, workshops, fieldworks, exhibits, concerts and other productions, among others. International travel is facilitated by a Travel Authority issued by the Office of the Chancellor through the Office of the Vice-Chancellor for Academic Affairs.
Long-term development includes higher studies through UP/ UP Diliman-awarded fellowships, non-UP/ UP Diliman-awarded scholarships or personal funds. Granting of fellowship and Study leaves are facilitated by the Faculty and REPS International Mobility Committee (FRIMC).
Faculty and REPS International Mobility Committee (FRIMC)
Faculty and REPS International Mobility Programs are overseen by the Faculty and REPS International Mobility Committee (FRIMC). The committee’s general objective, together with the International Student Mobility Committee (ISMC), is to enable UPD to implement international mobility programs with academic units and other UP/UPD offices in a coordinated manner, based on the principles of prudence, equity and transparency.
- To formulate policies and guidelines for international mobility of UPD faculty and REPS.
- To evaluate applications for the short and long-term programs for international mobility based on UP guidelines.
- To evaluate requests for renewal of contracts/agreements covering fellowships, visiting professorships, and study abroad.
- To coordinate with the Office of International Linkages (OIL) of UP System on matters regarding travels abroad of faculty and REPS.
- To monitor the progress of fellows and to conduct re-entry surveys for purposes of assessing UPD’s faculty and REPS international mobility programs.
UP System Faculty, REPS and Administrative Staff Development Program
The UP System Faculty, REPS and Administrative Staff Development Program (FRASDP, formerly the Faculty and REPS Development Program) takes the place of the UP Expanded Modernization Program–Doctoral Studies Fund. It includes fellowship programs for PhD and Master’s as well as for the recruitment of foreign-trained PhD faculty. The inclusion of REPS is expected to hasten the number of academic personnel with master’s and doctoral degrees. Five to ten slots have been reserved in each of the CUs for their respective niches for these study grants and recruitment programs. The FRASDP includes the following:
PhD and Master’s Fellowship Program for Faculty, REPS, and Administrative Staff
PhD and Master’s Fellowship Program for faculty, REPS and administrative staff. Priority will be given to PhD and MS fellowships directly aligned with the niches of each of UP’s constituent universities, as well as support for MS/PhD sandwich programs to enable the pursuit of theses/dissertations in foreign universities. The length of a PhD Fellowship that can be enjoyed is up to five years. The program supports tuition, salary, hiring of a teacher substitute, as well as access to a start-up grant of up to P2.5M upon completion of the PhD (subject to availability of funds). For foreign study, the round-trip airfare and living allowance will also be covered.
Short-term Travel Grants for Foreign Postdoctoral Stints or Training
Short-term Travel Grants for Foreign Postdoctoral Stints or Training. Academic staff who wish to undergo training or undertake projects in foreign universities for up to 2 months may request for support for travel and living expenses.
OIL System Grants
The Office of the Vice-Chancellor for Academic Affairs through the Office of International Linkages Diliman endorses to the UP System Office of International Linkages applications for the following:
- Research/Creative Work Presentation In International Conferences (Travel Grant)
- Continuous Operational And Outcomes-Based Partnership For Excellence In Research And Academic Training Enhancement (COOPERATE)
- Hosting Of International Conferences, Meetings, Workshops; and
- World Experts Lecture Series (WELS)